A Great Place to Work
Our people tell us Vermilion is a great place to work!
Vermilion continues to be recognized as a Best Workplace in all jurisdictions where our staff count meets the eligibility requirements for the Great Place to Work Institute’s Best Workplaces competition.
For a seventh year in a row, we have made the Great Place to Work Institute’s® Best Workplaces List in both Canada and France. We also made the Best Workplaces List in The Netherlands for a third year in a row. We made our inaugural appearance on the Best Workplaces List in Germany, in what was also our first year of qualifying for the Best Workplaces regional competition.
- In Canada, we placed 30th out of more than 300 participating companies. We were the only energy company to receive this award in 2016. This is very significant given the challenges we face in our industry today, and it demonstrates Vermilion’s ability to excel under all conditions.
- In France, we placed 16th out of the 111 mid-sized companies that participated in the survey. Only 39% (43 out of 111) of the companies that entered the competition in this category earned recognition as a Best Workplace, so this is a significant achievement for Vermilion.
- In The Netherlands, we ranked 20th out of 64 organizations.
- In Germany, we achieved a ranking of 5th out of 11 companies in our region and category (employers with 10 to 49 employees).
The rankings are based on the Institute’s two-fold approach, which includes an independent assessment of our culture along with our employees' confidential responses to the Institute’s survey.
Our rankings – and staff participation rates – have remained strong year over year since we began our involvement with the Great Place to Work Institute. In 2016, our participation rates in each country were:
- Canada: 88%
- France: 80%
- Netherlands: 75%
- Australia: 79%
- United States: 100%
- Germany: 100%
In part, we attribute our strong results to the importance we place on reviewing and addressing the staff feedback shared through each business unit’s annual survey. We believe the feedback gleaned from these surveys is so important that we ask staff in all business units to participate in the survey, regardless of whether or not the business unit’s staff count meets the minimum requirement to compete for Best Workplace recognition. This was the case in Australia and the United States, where our staff count is below the qualifying threshold.
Through the survey results, we gain a strong understanding of why our people choose to come to Vermilion, what they value and why they choose to stay. Competitive total compensation, exciting opportunities for growth and development, and pride in how we give back to the communities where our people live and work continue to be reasons why our voluntary turnover rate is among the lowest in our industry.
Here are just a handful of unabridged comments from staff on what makes our company a great place to work:
- I am very proud to work for Vermilion, particularly during these difficult times when the industry is struggling. Vermilion continues to make good decisions and manage through this period in a way that shows respect for employees.
- Highly proficient people, with the ability to make difficult decisions, to celebrate as appropriate, and communicate with the community and stakeholders very effectively. These combinations rarely occur in business.
- The People. From top to bottom, it’s a good organization of built on good people with strong values, morals and work ethic.