Feature: Wandoo Life Extension
Given the significant capital expense and potential environmental impact involved in new offshore platform development, it makes sense to operate and maintain existing infrastructure safely and responsibly for as long as possible. Vermilion’s expertise in this area is aiding our Wandoo Life Extension project, which is in process to verify that the design and physical integrity of the Wandoo field facilities in our Australia operations are suitable for production beyond the original design life. This will ensure that we remain compliant with local legislation and regulations, and continue to operate safely.
The original design life for the Wandoo A (WNA) unstaffed platform facility was 15 years from installation (October 1993). The WNA design life has twice been validated and extended for 5 years each, in 2008 and 2013. The structure is currently undergoing design verification to extend the design life again by 5 years to October 2023.
The original design life for the Wandoo B (WNB) staffed facility and export system was 20 years from the time of installation (March 1997). The WNB platform structure, all Wandoo topside facilities and the export system are currently undergoing design verification to extend their design lives for most systems by 20 years to March 2037. Some subsystems, such as the subsea flowlines, have been verified for a 10 year period and will be reassessed when that period finishes.
Life Extension Process Overview
- Vermilion undertakes extensive site surveys of the existing facilities to determine their current condition, identify areas for maintenance and repair, and verify their condition for ongoing use, including super/subsea structures, subsea system, marine system, safety systems, wells, and topsides.
- Vermilion develops a Basis of Analysis that presents the criteria to be used to reassess each subsystem of the assets (such as the platforms, flowlines and CALM Buoy); the design and operating facilities are assessed against current codes and standards using updated knowledge and data.
- The latest meteorologic ocean data (wave, wind and current) and seismic loads are developed by subject matter experts.
- Each subsystem of the asset is then reassessed and the results compared to the latest codes and standards.
- If the reassessment is supported by the Independent Verifying Body (IVB), Vermilion is issued with a Verification Certificate allowing us to operate the facility for the agreed future period.
- Vermilion has selected Lloyds Register as the IVB, a recognized expert that meets our independence and competency requirements, to review the analysis and systems.
- The original design life for the subsea flowlines was 20 years from the time of installation (October 1996). The flowlines and export system design have received IVB verification, extending their design lives by 10 years to October 2026. This 10-year life extension, based on the flexible flowline’s in-place strength, on-bottom stability and material limits, is an Australian industry first.
- Most other systems have been verified for a 20 year period out to 2036, which will most likely cover to the end of Wandoo field life.